Comox

Feature Type:Town - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a town municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Vancouver Island just E of Courtenay, Comox Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°40'22''N, 124°55'40''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/10

Origin Notes and History:

Comox (Village) adopted 7 March 1924 on Ottawa file OBF 0671, as labelled on BC Lands 1892 map "Southern Districts of Vancouver Island", and on British Admiralty Chart A333, published in 1900 from 1898 surveys, and on BC map 2A, 1913. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 14 January 1946; re-incorporated as a Town Municipality 1 April 1967. Comox (Town) confirmed 15 January 1982 on 92F/10.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Comox Post Office was opened 1 July 1872. [see also the municipality's own website.]

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Comox is an abbreviation of the Yaculta (Euclataw) name for this area of Vancouver Island. The full name was Komuckway or Comuckthway, which means "plenty", "abundance" or "riches", the surrounding district having being noted among the Indians for the abundance of berries and game. The name has been spelt variously and also gradually shortened: Komous, Comuck, Comax and finally Comox. The tribes residing here are the Puntledge and Sloslute, both of them nearly extinct. The first settlers arrived from Victoria in 1862, many of them being brought here by H.M. gunboat Grappler, detailed for that purpose by the commander in chief of the station at the request of Governor Douglas."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)