Lone Butte

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just SE of 100 Mile House, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 51°33'15''N, 121°12'25''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92P/11

Origin Notes and History:

Fawn (Post Office) and Lone Butte (station) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer; confirmed 3 March 1955 on 92P. Name changed to Lone Butte (Post Office & Station) 5 July 1961 on 92P. Form of name changed to Lone Butte (Community) 31 January 1983 on 92P/11.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

PGER station called Lone Butte (opened mid-1914?) so-named for the solitary and prominent butte around which the line had been surveyed. Area settlers' submission to establish a post office named "Lone Butte" was rejected by the post office department (date not cited), as there was already a post office with that name in Canada. Fawn Post Office was established 1 February 1916, located at the north end of the PGER platform in the vicinity of 51°33'27" - 121°12'25" (the 2nd choice in association with nearby Fawn Creek?). Name changed to Lone Butte Post Office 11 October 1961, being the entrenched name for the settlement here.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office