Hixon

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Fraser River, approximately halfway between Quesnel and Prince George, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°25'00''N, 122°35'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93G/7

Origin Notes and History:

Hixon (Post Office) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, located at 53 27 - 122 35. Confirmed 9 May 1963 on 93G. Application altered 18 September 1967 to 53 25 - 122 35. Form of name changed to Hixon (Post Office & Railway Point) 1 October 1981 on 93G/7. Form of name changed to Hixon (Community) 14 January 1983 on 93G/7.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Hixon Post Office was opened 1 July 1923, named in association with Hixon Creek, in turn after an 1870's gold prospector.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office