Cherryville

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE of junction of Cherry Creek and Shuswap River, E of Vernon, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°14'30''N, 118°37'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82L/2

Origin Notes and History:

Cherryville (Post Office) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Cherryville (settlement) 1 March 1956, then to Cherryville (Community).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Camagna Post Office opened here 1 November 1909; closed 15 April 1919. Re-opened as Cherryville Post Office 1 October 1919; closed 30 April 1947. At the time of closing the post office was situated on NW 1/4 Sec 28.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Formerly Camagna, after E. Camagna who pre-empted land here in 1909, and was postmaster until 1919. Cherryville is descriptive. See also 12th Report of the Okanagan Historical Society.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions