Scotch Creek

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Shuswap Lake just above outlet to South Thompson River, NW of Salmon Arm (city), Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°54'00''N, 119°27'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82L/14

Origin Notes and History:

Scotch Creek (Post Office) adopted 6 May 1954 on 82L/NW. Identified as Scotch Creek (settlement) in the 1977 cummulative supplement to the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Scotch Creek (community) 30 April 1982 on 82L/14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Scotch Creek Post Office opened 14 May 1958, named after the Scottish miners here in the 1860s. Post Office closed 30 June1970.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office