Boston Bar

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Fraser River, between Yale and Lytton, Yale Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°52'00''N, 121°26'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92H/14

Origin Notes and History:

Boston Bar (Post Office and Railway Station) adopted 6 October 1935 on Geological Survey sheet 422A, Hope. Form of name changed to Boston Bar (Post Office) in 1953 BC Gazetteer. Changed to Boston Bar (community) 15 December 1982 on 92 H/14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Boston Bar is identified as a camp or road house on Gustaf Epner's 1862 map "Gold Regions of BC". Boston Bar Post Office opened 1 April 1917, C. Harrington, postmaster.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

So-named because most of the placer miners working this bar in 1858-59 were "Boston men" ie. Americans, in turn because the first American ships off this coast were invariably from Boston, the Indians took to calling them "Boston men".

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office