Beaverdell

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side West Kettle River, E of Penticton, Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°26'00''N, 119°05'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82E/6

Origin Notes and History:

Beaverdell (Village) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, as labelled on Geological Survey map 36A, Beaverdell, 1911. Form of name changed to Beaverdell (Post Office) in the 1953 BC Gazetteer; changed to Beaverdell (Community) 15 December 1982 on 82E/6.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Beaverton Post Office opened 1 November 1900. Renamed Beaverdell Post Office 1 May 1905.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"The day was spent visiting claims on this mountain, and Beaverton, as it was then called, was reached at 9:30pm. This townsite, which is laid out on Beaver creek, about a mile and a half from the mouth, and Rendell, another townsite at the mouth of the creek, have since been amalgamated under the name of Beaverdell." (Report of the Provincial Mineralogist, 13 July 1901, Annual Report to the Minister of Mines 1901, p.1141)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office