Chemainus

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE side Vancouver Island, between Duncan and Ladysmith, Chemainus Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°54'59"N, 123°43'04"W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 92B/13

Origin Notes and History:

Chemainus (village) adopted in the 9th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 30 June 1910. Form of name changed to Chemainus (Post Office & Station) in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Chemainus (community) 15 December 1982 on 92B/13.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Chemainus Post Office opened 1 July 1871, named in association with Chemainus Bay; post office closed at some point (date not cited) then re-opened 2 July 1885.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office