Burges and James Gadsden Park

Feature Type:Provincial Park - Legally defined land area, under provincial jurisdiction, for camping, outdoor recreation, and preservation of wildlife.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: S of junction of Blaeberry and Columbia Rivers, just NW of Golden, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 51°24'40''N, 117°03'20''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82N/6

Origin Notes and History:

Established per Order in Council 1813, 24 June 1965. Area enlarged per OIC 1115, 25 March 1975; the whole containing 870 acres more or less. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation per Bill 86, Park Amendment Act 1999, 28 June 1999, the whole now containing 401 hectares more or less. Name changed to Burges James Gadsden Park per Bill 8-2015: Protected Areas of British Columbia Amendment Act, 25 March 2015.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Mis-spelled "....Gasden Park" on 82 N/6, ed 3.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named for Burges James Gadsden, a pioneer of the Columbia Valley who donated the original portion of the land for this provincial park to the people of the province of British Columbia in 1965 to be protected perpetually. (BC Parks website)

Source: included with note