Woodfibre

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW side of Howe Sound, S of Squamish, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°40'00''N, 123°15'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/11

Origin Notes and History:

Woodfibre (Post Office) adopted 12 December 1939 on 92 SE. Form of name changed to Woodfibre (Post Office & Settlement) 28 July 1945 on C.3579; changed to Woodfibre (Post Office & Steamer Landing) in the 1953 BC Gazetteer; changed to Woodfibre (Landing) 29 October 1982 on 92 G/11; changed to Woodfibre (Locality) 13 May 1983 on 92G/11.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Previously known as Britannia West, and so-labelled on Geological Survey sheet 997, 1908, and in 1918 Field Book 105/18, ph 37.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named by Sir George Bury, president of Whalen Pulp and Paper Company, when the company's mill was built here in 1920.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.