Chilanko Forks

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side Chilanko River, just NE of Tatla Lake, Range 3 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°07'00''N, 124°04'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93C/1

Origin Notes and History:

Chilanko Forks (settlement) adopted 13 March 1947 on 93 SW at 52 06 - 124 10, as labelled on BC map 1G, 1916. Application altered 27 June 1967 to 52 07 - 124 04. Form of name changed to Chilanko Forks (locality) 31 August 1982 on 93 C/1. Form of name changed to Chilanko Forks (community) 15 December 1982.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Chilanco Forks [sic] Post Office was opened 1 September 1907, situated on L 258, R3; post office closed 31 July 1918. Chilanko Forks Post Office re-opened 3 October 1963. [note amended spelling]

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office