Stewart

Feature Type:District Municipality (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a district municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just inside BC-Alaska boundary at head of Portland Canal, N of Prince Rupert, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°56'18''N, 129°59'28''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103P/13

Origin Notes and History:

"Stewart (Post Office, Mining Town & Steamer Landing)" adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 1H, 1917. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 16 May 1930. Stewart (Village) confirmed 3 October 1933 on Geological Survey sheet 307A, Portland Canal. Re-incorporated as a District Municipality 27 June 1968, called District of Stewart. Stewart (District Municipality) confirmed 27 November 1970.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Stewart Post Office was opened 1 May 1905.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Stewart brothers, Robert and John, from Victoria, held an interest in many of the mines in this area; they established the Stewart Land Co. in 1906 and laid out the townsite later. (advice from Stewart Historical Society, 2004)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Skam-a-kounst Indians, meaning "strong house" or "safe house", once lived at the head of Portland Canal - the first occupants of the Stewart area. They were chased out of the area in 1856-67 by Haida or Nass Indians. In Hyder, Alaska, there once stood a rock called Arrow Rock, where arrows were embedded and preserved from the time of the Haida and Nass Indians war with the Skam-a-kounst. This rock was washed out by Tide Lake and has never been found again. (from Stewart Historical Society)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office