Digby Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Separating Chatham Sound and Prince Rupert Harbour, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°17'15''N, 130°25'02''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103J/8
Related Maps: 103J/1
103J/8

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 7 February 1928, as labelled on British Admiralty Charts.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1867 by Captain Pender, RN, after Captain Henry Almarus Digby, 2nd lieutenant aboard HMS Malacca, Captain R.B.Oldfield, on this station 1866-68....

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

The traditional name is/was Ka-tat-nic (November 1991 advice from Metlakatla Band, file P.2.37); meaning or significance not provided.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office