Coneehaw Rock

Feature Type:Rock (1) - Small mass of rock usually projecting above the water surface.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Off Gunia Point, NW side of Graham Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°10'00''N, 132°56'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103K/2

Origin Notes and History:

Coneehaw Rock adopted 3 March 1949 on C.3844, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 3716, 1909, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer; not "Coneshaw Rock" as mis-spelled on British Admiralty Chart 3754, 1911.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Old Chief Blakow-Coneehaw (or Gunia - both are corruptions) was the head chief of Kiusta when the White traders first arrived, and it was he who exchanged names with William Douglas (as described in Q.C.Islands, vol 1) He was so well-known by all traders that Parry Passage was commonly called "Cunneyah's Straits" in the first years of trading. Gunia moved to Alaska during the migration of his tribe and was buried there."

Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973

"The Haida name for Gunia Point was Otus Kwoon." and "The Haidas knew [Coneehaw Rock] as Otus Kwoon Cudlay (where cudley means bank or reef)."

Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973