Greenville

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: N side of lower Nass River, between Gitwinksihlkw and Gingolx (formerly Kincolith), N of Prince Rupert, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°02'00''N, 129°34'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103P/4
   

Origin Notes and History:

"Lachkaltsap (Indian Village) not Lachkaltzap" adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Name changed to Greenville (Post Office) 6 July 1950 on 103NE; confirmed 6 August 1953 on 103P and 7 July 1960 on 103P. Form of name changed to Greenville (Community) 14 January 1983 on 103P/4. Name changed to Laxgalts'ap (community) per Nisga'a Treaty, Appendix F-3, effective 11 May 2000.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Pronounced "GREN vill" in this region. Named after Rev. Albert E. Green, Methodist missionary here from 1876-1889. The Mission is identified by not named on J.W. Trutch's 1871 map of British Columbia.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Nisgha name is Lach Al Zap, meaning "at the village" or "the place of the village".

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997