Dundas Islands

Feature Type:Islands - Land area surrounded by water or marsh. Plural of Island.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side Chatham Sound, just NW of Prince Rupert, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°28'57''N, 130°56'22''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103J/7
Related Maps: 103J/10
103J/7

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 30 June 1908, referring to the group of islands on the west side of Chatham Sound; subsequently labelled on British Admiralty Chart 1737, 1912. Confirmed 3 May 1951 on C.3844.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Captain Vancouver named Dundas's Island [sic] in July 1793, under the impression that it was one large island; now known to consist of several islands: Baron Island, Dundas Island, Dunira Island, Melville Island and other small islands & islets on the west side of Chatham Sound between Brown and Caamano Passages.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"...[individual islands in the group]...named in association with namesake Henry Dundas (1742-1811), treasurer of the Navy, 1782-1801; on 24 December 1802 he was created Baron Dunira, in the county of Perth, and Viscount Melville of Melville in the county of Edinburgh..."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)