Hawkesbury Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Douglas Channel, S of Kitimat, Range 4 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°36'30''N, 129°02'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103H/11
Related Maps: 103H/10
103H/11
103H/12
103H/6

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted in the 2nd Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 1900. Confirmed 7 March 1933 on Ottawa file OBF 1420, 14 June 1946 on 103/SE, 6 April 1950 on C3742 and 5 March 1953 on C.3743.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named by Capt. Vancouver after Sir Charles Jenkinson, Baron Hawkesbury, Earl of Liverpool, President of the Board of Trade 1786-1804. Jenkinson Point and Mount Jenkinson are also named after him.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.

"The Haisla divided the watersheds of Hawkesbury into four stewardship areas - not including the southwest side of the island which pertains to the Gitga'at people of Hartley Bay." (information contributed February 2007 by anthropologist James V. (Jay) Powell, Professor Emeritus, University of British Columbia, Vancouver; consultant to Haisla Nation, 2000-present).

Source: included with note