Hartley Bay

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Douglas Channel near S end, S of Kitimat, Range 4 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°25'31''N, 129°15'14''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103H/6

Origin Notes and History:

Hartley Bay (Post Office & Village) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1A, 1912 et seq. Confirmed 7 March 1933 on Ottawa file OBF 1420. Identified as Hartley Bay (Post Office & Steamer Landing) 14 June 1946 on 103SE and 6 April 1950 on C.3742. Form of name changed to Hartley Bay (Community) 14 January 1983 on 103H/6.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

Origin/significance not recorded. The bay in front of this community is spelled "Hartly Bay" on British Admiralty Chart #1923A, 1867 et seq. Hartley Bay Post Office was opened here 1 June 1905. No information in BC files that explains shift in spelling for new post office name. A Steamer Landing, school & church were established here, all identified as Hartley Bay on BC Lands' map 1A, 1912. Post Office was closed 23 July 1945 then re-opened 23 March 1948. Listed in U.S.S. timetables through April 1957, but not listed in N.N.Co. schedules thereafter.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.