Hills

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just NW of head of Slocan Lake, NW of Nelson, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°06'07"N, 117°29'06"W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 82K/3

Origin Notes and History:

Hill Siding (Post Office) adopted 6 February 1952 on 82NW. Form of name changed to Hills (Post Office) 14 August 1952 on 82NW, to agree with CPR station name, in turn as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Hills (community) 29 November 1984 on Ottawa file 203-2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Hill Siding Post Office was opened 5 June 1952. Changed to Hills Post Office 16 August 1952; closed 7 July 1970 (at time of closing, the post office was located on Block 13, Lot 8127). Hill Station originally located at mile 39.3 on GNR track; relocated to mile 42.6 (closer to the post office) according to CPR timetable 101, April 1953.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After brothers Alfred and Wilson Hill, lessees of DL 435. GNR subsequently built a station called Hill Siding to transport the lumber produced by the Hill brother's sawmill. See also Doukhobor Genealogy website: http://www.doukhobor.org/settlements.html (January 2008)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office