Colwood

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Langford and Metchosin, W of Victoria, Esquimalt Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°25'25''N, 123°29'36''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/6
Related Maps: 92B/5
92B/6

Origin Notes and History:

Colwood (Post Office & Station) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 2A, 1913. Form of name changed to Colwood (Community) 15 December 1982 on 92B/6. Incorporated as a City 24 June 1985. Colwood (City) confirmed 4 July 1985 on 92B/6.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Colwood Post Office opened 1 April 1881; amalgamated as Sub Station No. 16 under Victoria PO 2 June 1958.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

In 1851, Capt. Edward E. Langford arrived from England to manage Esquimalt farm for the Puget Sound Agricultural Company. The Langford family dubbed the farm "Colwood" to recall their family's 200-acre holding in Sussex, England. Link to the municipality's own internet site http://www.civicnet.gov.bc.ca/ (April 2000)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office