Adopted in 1928 by the Geographic Board of Canada, as labelled on BC-Alberta Boundary sheet 29, 1917.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Named in 1916 by Morrison Parsons Bridgeland, founding member of the Alpine Club of Canada, and surveyor associated with BC Boundary Commissioner A.O. Wheeler, because the flat-topped mountain resembles a fort.
Source: Place Names of Alberta, Alberta Geographical Names Program and Friends of Geographical Names of Alberta Society, University of Calgary Press, 4 volumes, 1991-1996.
Kataka is the Indian word for "fort" (Place Names of Alberta, 1928).
Source: Place Names of Alberta; published for the Geographic Board by Department of Interior, Ottawa, 1928.