Crown Mountain
Feature Type:Mountain - Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks.
Status: Official
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE side of Capilano Lake, just N of North Vancouver (municipality), New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°24'35"N, 123°05'30"W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 92G/6
Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 February 1924, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914, and as proposed by BC Geographic Division in November 1923.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Charted by Captain Richards, RN, HMS Plumper, 1859-60. Seen from the West Vancouver shore the mountain has a distinct crown-like appearance. Seen from Vancouver it resembles a reclining human figure, hence the name, Sleeping Beauty. The western peak is sometimes called The Knees (of the Beauty) or Capilano Peak, but it must not be confused with Mount Capilano at the head of Capilano Creek. First ascent of Crown Mountain, June 1895, by Edwards, Parkinson and Knox. First ascent of the "Camel" 4 August 1908 by Fred Mills, Miskin and Lyttleton. First ascent of "Camel's Head," 1909.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

"Viewed from downtown Vancouver, Crown Mountain looks like a mostly forested peak capped with a rock crown. The true nature of the peak reveals itself from the north, a rarely seen vantage point.... The lower, western summit, bulky and pyramidal from most of Vancouver, is informally known as "The Sleeping Beauty". The main summit forms "The Pyramid" with the "Camel" gendarme immediately east and separated by a short steep notch." ( "A small, abrupt rock peak on the north side of Crown Mountain's highest summit, visible from Vancouver, is called "The Camel." (Guide to Climbing & Hiking in Southwestern British Columbia, Bruce Fairley, 1986, p.20.)

Source: included with note

"First ascent of "The Camel's Back," a hithero unconquered peak of Crown Mountain, which was known as the most hazardous of any peak in this vicinity, not barring the Western Lion, was made Sunday, 4 October 1908 by Franklin Walter Hewton, Tommy Lyttleton, Roland Manfred "Fred" Mills, & H. Miskin." (from Fred Mills memoirs 1883-1913, and the Daily Province newspaper, Oct 9,1906; compiled by David Grantham, great grandson of Fred Mills, and provided in April 2006.)

Source: included with note