Crofton

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Vancouver Island, just N of Duncan, Chemainus Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°52'00''N, 123°39'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92B/13

Origin Notes and History:

Crofton (Post Office & Str. Landing) adopted 29 December 1945 on C.3450. Form of name changed to Crofton (Post Office, Station & Landing) 29 November 1965 on C.3471. Form of name changed to Crofton (Community) 15 December 1982 on 92 B/13.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Crofton Post Office was opened 1 May 1902, named after Henry Croft, CE, who had laid out the townsite.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Henry Croft....was prominently associated with the development of the Mount Sicker mines. Born in Sydney, New South Wales, 1856; educated at Rubgy school, England, and afterwards entered the profession of civil engineering. Arrived on this coast in 1882, and engaged extensively with a partner named Severn in the lumber business at Chemainus, then known as Horseshoe bay, carrying on an export as well as local trade; MPP, Cowichan district, 1887; the sawmill with the business at Chemainus was sold in 1888 to the Victoria Lumber and Manufacturing Company, Ltd, and is known as the Chemainus Saw Mill.

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)