Wasa

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Kootenay River, N of Fort Steele, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°47'00''N, 115°44'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82G/13

Origin Notes and History:

Wasa (Station) adopted 12 December 1939 on 82 SE, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915 et seq. Confirmed 6 January 1949 on Columbia River Basin manuscript # 57. Identified as Wasa (Post Office & Railway Point) in the 1977 supplement to the Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Wasa (community) 30 April 1982 on 82 G/13.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Wasa Post Office was opened 1 April 1902; closed 16 April 1934, since re-opened.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named by Nils Hansen after Vasa, a coastal community in his native Finland. See also Wasa Lake (lake)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office