Incorporated as a District municipality 15 May 1905. "Salmon Arm (Municipal District)" adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, p.357, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Salmon Arm (District Municipality) confirmed 6 May 1954 on 82L/NW. Re-incorporated as a City Municipality per Order in Council 89, 11 February 2005, effective 14 May 2005, to be known as City of Salmon Arm.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Takes its name from Shuswap Lake's southwest arm, which in turn was named back in the days when the salmon swarmed up its creeks and river in such numbers that the settlers pitchforked them out of the water and used them for fertilizer on their fields." [see also the municipality's own website.]
Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.