Yale

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of the Fraser River, N of Hope, Yale Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°33'45''N, 121°25'50''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92H/11

Origin Notes and History:

Yale (Station) adopted 6 October 1936 on 92H. Form of name changed to Yale (Post Office) in the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Yale (community) 14 May 1982 on 92H/11.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Ovid Allard established a new Hudsons Bay Company post here in 1847; the post was named Fort Yale, after James Murray Yale.

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

Near the CPR station, Parks Canada has installed a National Historic Site monument "to mark the site of Fort Yale, the southern terminal of the Cariboo Wagon Road, built 1862-65, which extended northward 400 miles to the Cariboo gold fields."

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office