Millerd Creek

Feature Type:Creek (1) - Watercourse, usually smaller than a river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Flows W into Knight Inlet between Glendale Cove and Glacier Bay, Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°47'45''N, 125°35'27''W at the approximate mouth of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92K/13

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 8 April 1974 on 92 K/13, as suggested in April 1959 by Marc Gormely, RPF, and as identified in subsequent BC Forest Service plans and files (file B.3.51).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Name required in 1959, to identify features and landmarks associated with TFL 17 and forest management development in the area. In the absence of any known local name, "Millerd" was suggested by TFL holder, after Francis Millerd, who had purchased Lot 583 at the entrance to Glendale Cove (about 10 miles below here on Knight Inlet) 6 July 1910; Crown Grant 1377/277, 12 April 1911. Presumably this is the same Francis Millerd (1884-1976) who came to Vancouver in 1908 from Ireland, and established and operated canneries up and down the coast. "...ruins of a former cannery can be found on the east side of [Glendale] cove..." (BC Coast Pilot, vol I, 1965).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Francis Millerd (1884-1976) was born in Ireland and came to Vancouver in 1908; married 14 January 1909 to Annie Ellen Frances Findon (1885-1970), born in England and brought to Canada as a child. Upon his arrival in Vancouver Millerd immediately started to work in the fishing industry. From 1913 to 1923 he was a partner in Gosse-Millerd Packing Company Ltd, which became the second largest salmon canner in British Columbia. In 1924 he purchased the Somerville Canning Company and outfitted a floating salmon cannery; he operated the floating cannery from 1924 to 1926 but was not always able to obtain a licence from the federal government for the cannery, at least partly because of the lobbying of other canners who saw the floating cannery as a threat to their operations. In 1927 his company was charged by the federal fisheries department with operating a cannery without a federal licence. Although the charge was eventually overturned or dropped, on the grounds that licencing canneries was a matter of provincial jurisdiction, the multi-year legal battle was costly. [see file for a chronology of judgements re: jurisdiction, culminating in the Privy Council interpretation of the BNA Act known as the Fish Canneries Reference.] From 1929 to 1935 Millerd was a partner and executive in Queen Charlotte Fisheries Ltd and Millerd Packing Company Ltd. In 1936 he founded Francis Millerd and Company Ltd; the company owned, operated and chartered a fleet of fishing boats, and was active in the fishing and processing of salmon, herring and clams. At various times the company operated canneries in West Vancouver, Redonda Bay and Seal Cove (near Prince Rupert). Fishing camps from which boats operated were located at Shearwater, Finn Bay (Rivers Inlet), Jones Cove (Smith Inlet), Growler Cove (Johnstone Strait), Steveston and other locations. Francis and Annie had 5 children: Claryca Millerd Loring (1909 - ), Francis "Frank" Webb Millerd (1913-2000), James Francis "Don" Millerd (1915-1977), William Francis Millerd (1918-1942), Lenora Millerd Slade (1920 - ). Frank and Don worked at Francis Millerd and Company Ltd, and took over management of the company after their father's retirement. William also worked for the company in 1937 and 1938 before enlisting with the RCAF. The company wound up in the late 1970s. Several grandchildred (the third generation) are currently involved in various aspects of the fishing industry." (information provided May 2006 by grandson Frank Millerd, Kitchener, Ontario.)

Source: included with note