Campbell River

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Vancouver Island, N of Courtenay, Sayward Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°01'23''N, 125°14'37''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92K/3
Related Maps: 92F/14
92K/3

Origin Notes and History:

Campbell River (Post Office) adopted 27 April 1945 on C.3591, as labelled on BC map 2C, 1919. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 24 June 1947. Form of name incorrectly changed to Campbell River (Settlement) 6 April 1950 on 92 NW; changed to Campbell River (Village) 6 November 1952 in keeping with incorporated status. Re-incorporated as a District Municipality 17 December 1964, to be known as District of Campbell River. Re-incorporated as a City Municipality per Order in Council 89, 11 February 2005, effective 4 April 2005, to be known as City of Campbell River.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

BC Lands & Works 1887 map "Explorations in the Northern Part of Vancouver Island, made by J.H. Gray, CE, and H. Fry, CE" identifies the proposed rail line north of Nanaimo along the east side of Vancouver Island, with a branch line peeling off at Campbell River (river) and running inland; the legend indicates "Victoria to Campbell River (proposed railway, unexplored)...173 miles". ie, a railway junction was planned here, but at the time there was no named locality. Early settler Frederick Nunns, in an 1889 letter to his brother, identified his homestead as "Padeswood, Campbell River". Campbell River Post Office opened 1 June 1907. "Campbell" hotel, post office, telegraph station & wharf are (mis)labelled on 1907 edition of British Admiralty Chart A3168.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in association with the river of the same name, in turn named by Captain Richards, RN, in 1860 after Samuel Campbell, MD, surgeon aboard HMS Plumper, 1857-1861.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Campbell River Post Office was opened 1 June 1907. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office