Earls Cove

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N end of Sechelt Peninsula, facing N end of Agamemnon Channel, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°45'07''N, 124°00'33''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/16

Origin Notes and History:

Earls Cove (Post Office) adopted 3 April 1959 on 92 F. Identified as Earls Cove (Post Office & Steamer Landing) in the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Identified as Earls Cove (Steamer Landing) in the 1973 Supplement to the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Earls Cove (locality) 15 February 1983 on 92F/16.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Earls Cove Post Office was opened 22 July 1959, situated on Lot 5387, James Stevenson postmaster. Local residents had requested the plural form, Earls Cove, in their petition for a post office, after several families named Earl in the area. Incorrectly identified in Black Ball Ferry timetables (June 1955 through September 1968) as Earl Cove. Earls Cove Post Office was closed 24 August 1966.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office