Bendor Range

Feature Type:Range (2) - Group or chain of mountains or hills.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW side of Anderson Lake, SE of Gold Bridge, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°46'00''N, 122°34'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92J/15
Related Maps: 92J
92J/10
92J/15
92J/16
92J/9

Origin Notes and History:

"Bendor Mountains (not Lorne nor Bend'or)" adopted in the 14th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1915. Form of name changed to Bendor Range 6 September 1951.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After the Bend'Or group of claims (which name in turn was corrupted from "ben d'or" - a combination of Gaelic and French, meaning "mountain of gold"). The claims were owned by the Bend'Or Mining Company, who erected a 10 stamp mill at Cadwallader Creek in 1899 (1900 BC Mines Report p.908). The property was acquired by Coronation Mining Company in 1910, then by Lorne Gold Mines Ltd in 1928, then by Bralorne Mines Ltd in 1931.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office