Bellhouse Park

Feature Type:Provincial Park - Legally defined land area, under provincial jurisdiction, for camping, outdoor recreation, and preservation of wildlife.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE end of Galiano Island, Cowichan Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°52'22''N, 123°18'46''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/14

Origin Notes and History:

Provincial Park established per Order in Council 2355, 21 August 1964, containing 6 acres more or less. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation and boundary redescribed per Bill 17: Protected Areas of British Columbia Act, 12 June 2000; the whole containing 2.5 ha. more or less.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Mr. Leonard Thorneycroft Bellhouse, proprietor of the "Farmhouse Inn", who donated the land to the province; his father acquired this property in 1907 from the Robert Grubb family. See Bellhouse Bay.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office