Boswell

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Kootenay Lake, E of Nelson, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°27'00''N, 116°46'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82F/7

Origin Notes and History:

Boswell (Post Office) adopted 7 December 1937 on Geological Survey sheet 603A, as labelled on BC map 4B, 1912, and on BC map 1EM, 1915, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Confirmed 4 September 1947 on Columbia River Basin manuscript 8. Form of name changed to Boswell (Community) 15 December 1982 on 82F/7.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Boswell Post Office opened 1 March 1907, located in the SW corner of Lot 5027 (the same location as "McGregor", as labelled on Geological Survey sheet 791A, Kootenay, 1900). The position of Boswell Post Office has shifted over the years: mouth of McGregor Creek, and now southward to the mouth of Charles Creek. (letter 24 February 1966 from BC to Ottawa, file C.1.24). CPR steamer service offered until December (?) 1946.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Elias John Boswell (1840 - ), DLS, PLS. Born in Manitoba, the son of John Crease Boswell. Arrival date in BC not identified. Received his commission as a Provincial Land Surveyor in 1901, and in 1906 surveyed this property for Lord Howick, the son of Earl Grey, Governor-General of Canada. Howick was so taken with Boswell that he named the property "Boswell Ranch"

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office