Skedans

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE side of Louise Island, off E side of Moresby Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°57'52''N, 131°36'29''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103B/13

Origin Notes and History:

Skedans (village) adopted 7 October 1948 on C.3894, as identified on 1926 names list for C.324 but not adopted at the time. Identified as Skedans (locality) in 1953 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"This was an important Haida town of the Kagials-kegawai family, abandoned since 1910 but several house poles still stand. Skedans is a corruption of Gidansta, the name of its chief, according to advice from his daughter." (Handbook of the Indians of Canada, Geographic Board of Canada, 1912, p 433). "This is an abandoned Haida settlement which is of significant historical importance, and should be shown on maps." (Wilson Duff, anthropologist, Provincial Museum.)

Source: included with note

The Haida called the village here Qoona or K'uuna, meaning "Grizzly-Bear-Town"; the Europeans named it Skedans, a corruption of the name of its chief, Gidansta. K'uuna is situated on the eastern tip of Louise Island and faces south onto Skedans Bay from one of two crescent beaches bordering a small peninsula. In the mid-1800s almost 450 Haida lived here in about 26 longhouses. An 1878 survey shows record of 56 pieces of monumental sculpture, including frontal poles, single and double mortuary poles, memorial poles and mortuary figures. It was on K'uuna that, after her visit in 1907, Victoria artist Emily Carr based her paintings of the poles of Koon. Through most of the sculptures have now returned to the earth or been removed, K'uuna is one of the few remaining village sites with standing totem poles as well as remnants of large longhouses. A path winding through the old village allows you to wander through the site and appreciate the artistry of the poles now in varying stages of decay, and to try to capture the essence of what life may have been like there many years ago. As the most northerly of the five Watchmen camps, its accessibility makes it one of the most highly visited sites. The watchmen cabin is located beyond the village facing onto the opposite side of the peninsula. (Information from Parks Canada internet site, 1999)

Source: included with note

Identified as "K'uuna llnagaay" in description of Haida Watchmen responsibilities (Canadian Geographic Magazine, March 2007)

Source: included with note