Parksville

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Vancouver Island between Nanaimo and Qualicum Beach, Nanoose Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°19'05''N, 124°18'41''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/8

Origin Notes and History:

Parksville incorporated as a Village Municipality 19 June 1945. Parksville (Post Office) adopted 2 December 1948 on C.3590. Form of name changed to Parksville (Village) 2 November 1950 on 92 F, in keeping with incorporated status. Re-incorporated as a Town Municipality 30 March 1978. Re-incorporated as a City Municipality 1 May 1986.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Parksville Post Office was opened 1 February 1887, Nelson Parks postmaster, and after whom the village was named (The Daily Colonist, Islander Section, 12 December 1948). According to the Nanoose District register in the Land Titles Office, Nelson, Frank, George T. and James E. Parks, in partnership, pre-empted Lots 12, 13 & 14 on 5 October 1885. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office