Named c1872 after James Adams Mahood ( -1901), land surveyor, who surveyed the CPR route from Quesnel mouth to Yellowhead in 1871; undoubtedly the course of his survey and reconnaisance took him through the valleys of Canim and Mahood Lakes. He surveyed in all corners of the province from 1871 to 1891. "Mahood Lake" is mentioned in connection with travels 18 September 1872 (CPR's "Report of Progress on Explorations & Surveys to January 1874" by Sanford Fleming, engineer in charge). See also extensive biographical information in Provincial Archives.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office