Cumshewa

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N shore of Cumshewa Inlet, NE side of Moresby Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°02'00''N, 131°41'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103G/4

Origin Notes and History:

Cumshewa (village) adopted 6 April 1926 on C.326. Form of name changed to Cumshewa (locality) 2 December 1954 on map 2F. (file Q.1.54)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

A large Indian Village here originally. The locality is now known as Cumshewa Inlet according to July 1953 report from RCMP (file Q.1.54); abandoned according to 1961 information from Mr. Sutherland-Brown, BC Mines Department; "Cumshewa Inlet (Sandspit for furtherance)" identified in N.N.Co. steamship timetables from 1964 through 1968; not identified in subsequent timetables.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office