"Clearwater (not Raft River) (flag station)" identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Clearwater (Station) and Clearwater Station (Post Office) both adopted 3 March 1955 on 92 P. Names combined and form changed to Clearwater (Post Office & Station) 5 August 1961 on 92 P/9. Form of name changed to Clearwater (Community) 15 December 1982 on 92 P/9, located just east of the junction of North Thompson & Clearwater Rivers. Incorporated as a District Municipality per Order in Council 652, 4 October 2007, effective 3 December 2007.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office