Campania Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Squally Channel and Estevan Sound, Range 4 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°04'29''N, 129°25'25''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103H/3
Related Maps: 103A/14
103G/1
103H/3
103H/4

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 April 1926 on C.324; confirmed 7 March 1933 on OBF1420; 11 May 1946 on C.3724; 14 June 1946 on 103/SE; 1 December 1949 on C.3724.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named by Lieutenant Commander Jacinto Caamaño, commanding the Spanish Corvette "Aranzaza", engaged in examining this neighbourhood in 1792.

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

The name was changed from Compañia (as named by Caamaño and labelled on Vancouver's chart) to Campania, and is still retained.

Source: Wagner, Henry R; The Cartography of the Northwest Coast of America; University of California Press, Berkley, 1937