Bowser

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW of Qualicum Bay, E side Vancouver Island between Parksville and Courtenay, Newcastle Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°26'00''N, 124°40'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92F/7

Origin Notes and History:

Bowser (Post Office and Station) adopted December 2, 1948 on C.3590, as identified on E&N map, 1918 et seq. Form of name changed to Bowser (Post Office) 15 January 1982 on 92F/7. Further changed to Bowser (Community) 15 December 1982 on 92 F/7.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Bowser Post Office opened 1 April 1915, named after William J. Bowser, former Premier of British Columbia.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office