Finlayson Channel

Feature Type:Channel (3) - Narrow stretch of water connecting two bodies of water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Extends N from Milbanke Sound, W side of Roderick Island, N of Bella Bella, Range 3 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°35'38''N, 128°28'22''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103A/9
Related Maps: 103A/16
103A/8
103A/9

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted in the 19th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada /Supplement 8, 1 June 1929, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart #1923B, 1867 et seq.

Source: BC place name cards, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

"Named by Captain Charles Dodd, of the Hudson's Bay Company's steamer Beaver, circa 1845. After Roderick Finlayson of the Hudson's Bay Company, who for many years after this channel was named was one of their most trusted servants. Born 16 March 1818 at Lochalsh, Rosshire, Scotland, he came to Canada in July 1837. On arrival he at once secured an appointment in the service of the company, and in 1839 crossed overland to the Pacific coast. In the spring of 1842, Finlayson was employed at Fort Simpson, and in May 1843 was removed from that post by Mr. Douglas to the intended new post at the south end of Vancouver Island, now the city of Victoria. When Fort Victoria was established, Mr. Charles Ross was placed in charge, with Finlayson as second, and on the death of the former in the spring of 1844, the latter was place in charge, where he remained for many years, and was thus practically the founder of Victoria. Chief factor, 1859; Member of the Legislative Council for Vancouver Island and its dependenceis, 1851-1863; retired 1872; died in Victoria 20 January 1892. (personal reminiscence to the writer by Mrs. Roderick Finlayson, 1905.)"

Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)