Dryad Point

Feature Type:Point - Land area jutting into a water feature; also used for a convex change in direction of a shoreline.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NE corner of Campbell Island at junction of Seaforth Channel and Lama Passage, just NW of Bella Bella and Waglisla, Range 3 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°11'07''N, 128°06'43''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103A/1

Origin Notes and History:

Dryad Point adopted in the 3rd Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 30 June 1901; not "Turn Point" as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 2449, 1872 et seq. "Dryad Point (not Driad Point)" identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Originally named Turn Point by Admiralty surveyors and changed to Dryad Point when the lighthouse was built here in 1901, to avoid confusion with the United States lighthouse situated at Turn Point on Stuart Island, Haro Strait. The Dryad Point Lighthouse was under the charge of a Bella Bella Indian known as Captain Carpenter, whose Indian name translated into English as "Rainbow" and whose wife was a descendant of one of the Chiefs Kaiete.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Renamed after the Hudson's Bay Company brig Dryad, Captain Kipling, which vessel, in company with the brig Lama, Captain McNeill, brought material and stores from Fort Vancouver for founding Fort McLoughlin in 1833...."

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)