Alkali Lake

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Fraser River S of Riske Creek, NW of 100 Mile House, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 51°47'00''N, 122°14'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92O/16

Origin Notes and History:

Alkali Lake (Post Office) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC map 1G, 1916. Form of name changed to Alkali Lake (Community) 31 March 1983 on 92 O/16.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Alkali Lake Post Office opened in 1881.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The adjacent Alkali Lake was named for a patch of alkali high on the hillside above the lake - a beacon for northbound miners. There is no alkali in the lake itself. (information from Mrs. W.C. Woodward, resident of Alkali Lake)

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions