Ashcroft

Feature Type:Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a village municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Thompson River, below (W of) Kamloops Lake, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°43'17''N, 121°17'01''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92I/11
Related Maps: 92I
92I/11

Origin Notes and History:

Ashcroft (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological survey sheet 408A, as labelled on Kamloops sheet 111, 1916. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 27 June 1952. Ashcroft (Village) confirmed 31 May 1982 on 92I/11. Boundary extention per Order in Council 288, 25 March 2004, to include the area known as "Ashcroft Ranch".

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Ashcroft PO opened 13 July 1865, Clement Francis Cornwall, postmaster.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Cornwall brothers who established their ranch, "Ashcroft" in 1862, came originally from the village of Ashcroft in Gloucestershire, where their father had been vicar. When the CPR adopted the name Ashcroft for their station just east of the ranch (and what would become the townsite), the Cornwall's added "Manor" to the name of their home, making it Ashcroft Manor. See also the municipality's website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after a ranch in the vicinity, the home of the Honourable Clement Francis Cornwall (1836-1910), Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia from 1881 to 1887, and his brother Henry Pennant Cornwall. Together they had settled here in 1862 as farmers and stock raisers. The ranch in turn was named for their ancestral home, Ashcroft, Gloucestershire. CFC was schooled at Cambridge and had been successful as a barrister before coming to British Columbia; member of the Legislative Council of Colongy of British Columbia 1864-66; senator 1871-81; lieutenant-governor 1881-87; judge, County of Cariboo 1889-1906. HPC was appointed Indian Agent at Kamloops, 1881.

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions