Franklin Range

Feature Type:Range (2) - Group or chain of mountains or hills.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Kokish and Tsitika Rivers, SW of Robson Bight on NE side of Vancouver Island, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°28'00''N, 126°40'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92L/7

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 2 May 1933 on 92L/7, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart , and on BC map 2C, 1919, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named in 1861 by Captain Richards, HMS Hecate, after the celebrated Arctic explorer Rear Admiral Sir John Franklin, FRGS, and Lady Jane Franklin, his wife... Sailed in 1845 with the Erebus and Terror, commander of the expedition and commander of the Erebus, in search of the northwest passage, when all perished in the Arctic regions. From records found later, Sir John died 11 June 1847 on board the Erebus... The noble-hearted widow of the great discoverer devoted many years to furthering the search for her lost husband and his comrades. She fitted out and despatched [various vessels in the early-mid 1850s] and despatched the Fox in 1857; thus, through Sir Leopold M. Clintock, finally solved the question. The RGS gold medal was presented to Lady Franklin in 1860, in commemoration of Sir John's discoveries. On 22 February 1861, Lady Franklin accompanied by her niece, Miss Sophia Cracroft, arrived at Victoria, and in March... visited Fort Yale... On 24 March 1861 the two ladies embarked at Esquimalt for home. (see Victoria Colonist 6, 13, 14, 22 & 25 March 1861)"

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)