Windermere

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Windermere Lake just SE of Invermere, SE of Golden, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°27'49''N, 115°59'20''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82J/5

Origin Notes and History:

Windermere (Town) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924. Identified as Windermere (Post Office) in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Windermere (community) 15 March 1983 on 82J/5.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1883 by G.M. Sproat, when he and A.S. Farwell explored the Columbia valley for the provincial government; after Windermere, England.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The traditional name for this site is ?a ·kisqnuk, pronounced a-kis-q-nook. [meaning/significance not provided] (April 2006 advice from Janice Alpine, Ktunaxa Language Program)

Source: included with note