Donald

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side Columbia River, NW of Golden, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 51°29'45''N, 117°10'25''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82N/6

Origin Notes and History:

Donald (flag station and settlement) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, as labelled on BC Lands' map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Donald (station) 8 September 1932 on 82N/SW. Name changed to Donald Station (Post Office) 6 September 1951 on 82N/SW, after the Post Office Department refused the single name "Donald". Name changed to Donald (community) 15 December 1982 on 82N/6.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Named in early 1880's after Donald Alexander Smith (1820-1914) GCMG, GCVO, DCL, LLD, FRS, long prominent in Canadian business and public life, including HBC, CPR, Bank of Montreal, House of Commons and Privy Council. KCMG, 1886. High Commissioner to Great Britain, 1896-1914. First Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal, 1900." Namesake of Strathcona Provincial Park.

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

Originally known locally as First Crossing because this is where the CPR first crossed the Columbia River. Named after Donald A. Smith, director of the CPR during and after construction [of the railroad].

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.