Cranberry

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: In Powell River (city), New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°53'00''N, 124°32'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92F/15

Origin Notes and History:

Cranberry Lake incorporated as a Village Municipality 11 June 1942. Cranberry Lake (Village) confirmed 2 Novemer 1950 on 92F. Incorporated into Powell River District Municipality 15 October 1955. Form of name confirmed as Cranberry Lake (settlement) 3 January 1967 on 92F/15. Form of name changed to Cranberry (community) 2 November 1978 on 92F/15.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Subdivided in 1921 (Lands Report 1924, p.95). Cranberry Lake Post Office was opened 1 February 1931; closed 3 June 1961.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Cranberry Lake derived its name from the lush berries on the peat swamps around the shore. Old timers of Powell River gathered the berries, competing with black bears, little thinking that in a few years hence the entire section would be a thriving village. Owing to the fact that there was already one Cranberry Post Office in BC, the word "lake" was retained and the official name became Cranberry Lake Post Office. Cranberry Lake is also the official name of the village." (Powell River News and Town Crier, 10 May 1950)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office