Mount Tupper

Feature Type:Mount - Variation of Mountain: Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks. ["Mount" preceding the name usually indicates that the feature is named after a person.]
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of junction of Connaught Creek and Beaver River, just NE of Rogers Pass in Glacier National Park, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 51°20'09''N, 117°29'55''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82N/6

Origin Notes and History:

Mount Tupper named by Privy Council Order in Council 4 April 1887.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Formerly known as Hermit Mtn from the shape of the rocks near the summit, which resemble a hermit with a dog lying at his feet. Name was changed to Mount Tupper by (federal) Order in Council, after Sir Charles Tupper, minister of Railways & Canals in Macdonald's cabinet during location & construction of the CPR line through the Selkirk Mountains; named in juxtaposition with nearby Mount Macdonald and Rogers Pass.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

This geographical name recognizes the Right Honourable Sir Charles Tupper (1821-1915), Canada's 7th Prime Minister who served for several weeks in the spring of 1896, between the Mackenzie Bowell and Wilfrid Laurier administrations. [for photographs and biographical information about all of Canada's Prime Ministers, see www.primeministers.ca; link also to "Canada's Prime Ministers" from Office of the Prime Minister www.pm.gc.ca ]

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office