Alice Arm

Feature Type:Arm - Long narrow extension of a water body.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E arm of Observatory Inlet, S of Stewart, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°27'03''N, 129°35'19''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103P/5
Related Maps: 103P/5
103P/6

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 December 1932 on Canadian Geological Survey sheet of Alice Arm, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart 2431A, 1868, on Geological Survey sheet 69A, Route map of part of the Nass River, 1912, and on BC map 1H, 1917, and as listed in the 1930 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1868 by Captain Daniel Pender, after Alice Mary Tomlinson, second daughter of Richard Woods, registrar of the Supreme Court of BC, and wife of the Reverend Robert Tomlinson, in charge of the mission at Kincolith. Also Alice Rock.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Immediately after their wedding day in Victoria in 1862, Alice and her new husband journeyed for twenty-four days in a large Haida canoe manned by eight Indians (and an Indian woman to serve the bride) before arriving at their mission station at Kincolith.

Source: Middleton, Lynn; Place Names of the Pacific Northwest Coast; Elldee Publishing Company, Victoria, 1969

"Nisga'a name for Alice Arm is Ts'im Gits'oohl....a part of K'alii Ts'im Gits'oohl (the Nisga'a name for Observatory Inlet)." (1997 correspondence from Ayuukhl Nisga'a Department ).

Source: Nisga'a Tribal Council / Ayuukhl Nisga'a Department, Aiyansh BC

Nisga'a name for Alice Arm is K'alii Ts'im Gits'oohl (Nisga'a Treaty, Appendix F-2, effective 11 May 2000). Although there are Nisga'a titleholders throughout Observatory Inlet and Alice Arm (as in other parts of the Nisga'a traditional territory), this entire resource-rich harvesting area is utilized in common with all Nisga'a. Particularly when salmon stocks have depleted in the Nass River proper, the Nisga'a go to K'alii Ts'im Gits'oohl. [k'alii/ upriver; ts'im/ inside, within; gits'oohl/ a ways in behind]. Lax Gits'oohl, at the head of Ts'im Gits'oohl (Alice Arm) is where Sa'anik' - of the Laxwiiyip (Nasskoten of the Athabaskan Tribe) - made his first attempt to take the Nisga'a Sim'oogit (chief), Hlidax. The Laxwiiyip were eventually driven out of Nisga'a territory, and never did succeed in their attempts to gain control to Nisga'a lands.

Source: Nisga'a Tribal Council / Ayuukhl Nisga'a Department, Aiyansh BC