Mission Creek

Feature Type:Creek (1) - Watercourse, usually smaller than a river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Flows W into Okanagan Lake, just S of Kelowna, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°50'33''N, 119°29'37''W at the approximate mouth of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82E/14
Related Maps: 82E/14
82E/15
82L/2

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A, Kettle River (Ottawa file OBF 1525).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after the Okanagan Mission established by Father Pierre Richard, Father Charles Marie Pandosy and Brother Surel, of the Order of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The Mission was established in 1859 at the south end of Duck Lake (now Ellison Lake) but was moved the following year to this creek, then known as Riviere de l'Anse au Sable, "Sandy Cove River". Labelled Sandy River on the oldest map of the mainland interior, "A Sketch of Thompson's River District, 1827," by Archibald McDonald, Hudson Bay Company. Indian name of the creek, N'wha-kwi-sen, means "smoothing stones". (12th Report, Okanagan Historical Society, 1948, citing Ok 1:8-9,15)

Source: included with note